2008 National English Contest for College Students
(Level C--- Preliminary)
Part I Listening Comprehension (25 minutes, 30 marks)
Section A (5 marks)
In this section, you will hear five short conversations. At the end of each conversation, a question will be asked about what was said. Both the conversation and the question will be read only once. After each question, there will be a pause. During the pause, read the three choices marked A, B and C, and decide which is the best answer. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
1. A. To buy a newspaper. B. To find a chemist. C. To post a letter.
2. A. Their billing system has been efficient.
B. Their old billing system is outdated.
C. He’s unimpressed with the new billing system.
3. A. She’s been on vacation. B. She’s been at the grocery store.
C. She’s been on a business trip.
4. A. To go to the market. B. To have coffee. C. To have a discussion.
5. A. Changing a flight reservation. B. Canceling a hotel reservation.
C. Reserving an extra hotel room.
Section B (10 marks)
In this section, you will hear two long conversations. Each conversation will be read only once. At the end of each conversation, there will be a one-minute pause. During the pause, read the five questions, each with three choices marked A, B and C, and decide which is the best answer. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
6. What’s Tania’s phone number?
A. 506-6178 B. 501-6678 C. 501-6687
7. Who is going shopping at Harrods?
A. Tania. B. Karl. C. Karl’s mother.
8. How is Tania going to get to Harrods?
A. On foot. B. By taxi. C. By tube.
9. Which street plan shows the way from the station?
10. What kind of wine does Karl want?
Section A Dialogues (10 points)
Directions: In this section, you will hear 10 short dialogues. At the end of each dialogue, a question will be asked about what was said. Both the dialogue and the question will be read only once. After each question, there will be a pause. During the pause, you must read the four choices marked A, B, C and D, and decide which is the best answer. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
1. A. A son and two daughters.
B. Two sons and two daughters.
C. Two sons and a daughter.
D. A son and three daughters.
2. A. Freshman. B. Sophomore. C. Junior. D. Senior.
3. A. To cancel a meeting.
B. To arrange a meeting.
C. To confirm a meeting.
D. To send a fax.
4. A. College education.
B. Educational psychology.
C. Family education.
D. Behavioral psychology.
5. A. They will go skiing.
B. They will stay home.
C. They will buy ski equipment.
D. They will take ski lessons.
6. A. Tony. B. Laura. C. Megan. D. Brian.
7. A. He was caught in the rain.
B. He just had a shower.
C. He was sick.
D. He failed the exam.
8. A. The man’s secretary.
B. A manager.
C. A job applicant.
D. A waitress.
9. A. In a butcher’s.
B. In a hotel.
C. On the plane.
D. In a fast food restaurant.
10. A. A manager and a secretary.
B. A lecturer and a student.
C. Two friends.
D. A doctor and a patient.
Section B News Items (10 points)
5. 本站不保证提供的下载资源的准确性、安全性和完整性, 同时也不承担用户因使用这些下载资源对自己和他人造成任何形式的伤害或损失。